The Wallengren Family

Monday, January 28, 2008

We Love You President Hinkley!

Last night my sister Tiffany called me and gave me the sad news about President Hinkley's passing. We knew that he was getting old and his years were numbered. We were naive in thinking that he would always be with us. His passing is a time of rejoicing because he full filled his mission here on Earth the way the Lord had intended him to. Now he is with his sweet wife living time and all eternity together in heaven. Before his wife Marjorie passed away he wrote her this sweet letter:
"My Darling,
All that is said in this book concerning your virtues is true. Your own words and those spoken by a host of friends bear tribute to your worth. More, much more, might have been included.It is now more than sixty years since we entered the Salt Lake Temple, there to be married for eternity. I had known you for a long time prior to that. I knew what I was getting into, and it has turned out as I had hoped it would. What a treasured companion you have been. Through all these years we have walked side by side as equals before the Lord. There have been good days and bad days, but the good days have far outnumbered the bad ones.You have been my critic and my judge. You have seen to it that my shoes were shined, my suit pressed, my tie straight. You have pushed aside the flattery that comes with public life, and winnowed the kind and sincere words of honest and loving friends. You have held at bay that old fraud of adulation and kept my feet planted on the solid earth. How I appreciate you....our voracious appetite for reading and your relentless pursuit of knowledge have kept you alert and refreshing throughout a long and fruitful life. Now we have grown old together, and it has been a sweet experience. We have shrunk in stature and move a little more slowly. We are more forgetful. But as of this writing we still have one another--and that is so good. And when in some future day the hand of death gently touches one or the other of us there will be tears, yes, but there will also be a quiet and certain assurance of reunion and eternal companionship.'Trusty, dusky, vivid, true...'The God of Heaven fashioned you.I love you, dear"
What an amazing husband and father he was! He loved his wife so much! That letter made me want to cry when I read it because he is so sincere in every word of it!
Pres. Hinkley was an amazing man and someone that we looked up to. He dedicated his life to serving the Lord and the members of the Church unconditionally. He is the type of person that we hope someday to become.
We Love You President Hinkley!

4 comments:

Tiff Gutierrez said...

I was only 11 years old when I remember standing in mom and dads room sustaining Pres. Hinkley! We will sure miss him. What an amazing person he was and such an example to all of us, member or not!

Trish said...

I love that letter!

Shalise said...

I think your post is exactly how he was, Thanks for sharing. What a great man he was and what a legacy has lead for all of us.

The Reeds said...

How fun! I loved seeing all the pics of your cute family.