This is something I have to blog about because I need your feedback. Today I took the kids to South Town and we always have to make a stop at their favorite place, DinoTown. Many of you know how Caleb is such a happy, sweet, and energetic little 4 year old. He never hits kids or ever does anything malicious to anyone. It was busy there with a lot of kids running around. Well, it's hard to keep your eye on both kids when it's busy. Anyway, Caleb was playing on top of the tunnel (those of you who have been there know what I am talking about) and a little boy about 3 years old climbed up on top too. Caleb playfully pushed him off. You know how kids do this from time to time. I didn't see him do it because I was watching Izzy. When I heard the little boy cry, of course I looked for Caleb to see where the crying came from. Next thing I know the boy's mom went over to Caleb and started yelling at him and pointing her finger at him saying "DON'T YOU DO THAT! DON'T PUSH!" When I say yelled I mean REALLY yelled because every person in the room stopped and looked at her. I didn't say anything to her because I didn't want her to start another scene on me. Give me a break! What kid doesn't push another kid from time to time? I'm not one of those mom's that just sit there when they play at Dino Town. I am always talking to Caleb about being careful for the other kids, taking turns, and being nice. So I talked to him about it again after that lady made a scene. Well, it doesn't end there. I stood close by and watched him to make sure nothing else was going to happen. Nothing did but, a lady came up to me and said something about Caleb being the kid that's hitting and pushing. I said it wasn't my kids doing that. What are their problems? If this happened to us I would've told Caleb to play on something else or not play by that boy not yelled at him in front of everyone! There are better ways to handle situations like this don't you think? We can't control every move or child is going to make but at least I can say I did what I could to make sure no one got hurt. Maybe I am getting too worked up over this, but it really bothered me! It made me feel like an awful mom because everyone looks for the mom of the child who caused the lady to freak out. Has this ever happened to you? I feel so bad that this happened cause I know Caleb was just being playful and didn't mean any harm. Tell me what you think.
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
The lady has anger management issues...for sure! Unfortunately, she'll never get the help she desperately needs and her kids will grow up to be just like her ~ pointing her finger and screaming at the world for her problems. A sad vicious cycle. You did the right thing by remaining calm. Caleb is an angel, and as long as he didn't get his feelings hurt, no harm, no foul. I feel sorry for people like her. You're an awesome mom!
Hi Amy- So I haven't met your kids or seen you as a "Mom" however I would bet my last dollor that you are a great Mom. Your little Caleb seems like a good natured boy. I think you handled the situation great. I see people like the lady you are talking about and question what they are thinking. There is definitly a better way to handle things. Sorry you had to go through that but don't let it question what type of a job you are doing as a mom. I am sure you are doing great!
Amy-
I tried to reply on the blog lastnight and it did not go through, I have dial up so you know how that goes were in the cave man days at the Benjamins.
Anyways, I had Caleb in the nursery and he was SO wonderful, such a very good kid. The lady was out of hand on how she handled it.
A couple of weeks ago I had Bryhn and her little friend with my Mom and me and there was a little boy that kept pinching Bryhn and her little friend and hitting and make them cry. I asked nicely to his mom if she could maybe talk to him about what was going on. It is all in our approach, so if you were being yelled at by this lady imagine how she is with her children.
Your such a darling Mom and My Mom would attest to this since she had Caleb at Sandy City- he is a great kid.
Sorry for the long post.
Next time call me, I will meet you there:)
I would be completely devastated if some random mother came and yelled at my child. She has no place to do that. If it were me, and someone pushed my kid off a dinosaur, I would let it go recognizing that kids will be kids and there was no malicious intent. If there were to be any confrontation, the lady should have waited to see who Caleb's mom was and then QUIETLY and CALMLY told you what happened. Please know that you are right to feel angry, but just know that there are the psycho moms out there who like to create trouble for everyone. You are a WONDERFUL mother and Caleb is such a sweet, fun loving child. You have nothing to worry about.
People are freaks! =) you are a good mom and you have good kids...whether caleb did it on purpose or not, that lady sucks. she is probably just some insecure mom...bet you ten bucks she didn't even see it happen either.
ahhh...i completely detest the moms who take it upon themselves to discipline others' children - especially when their mom is right there! You handled it much better than I would have. I think I would have given her a piece of my mind. You're a great mom and just brush it off. She may have been having a bad day too (you know how PMS is!) Glad you got a day at the spa to recoup. Love you!
Yeah, that's really lame. Some other mothers are kind of crazy, I tell you!!
Post a Comment